Monday, November 1, 2010

Money isn't everything, but...

So I've been feeling super broke lately, and it's killing me! It's not exactly that I don't have money (although I am a recent college grad, so I don't have much) it's more that I'm not letting myself spend it. And that's a good thing, because keeping my grad school debt manageable is going to be improving my life for the next 10-15-20 years. But maybe it's the holidays coming up, or maybe it's all this free time, but I am DYING to spend money. Mostly on travel, so I think I can probably blame the free time.

It feels so unfair that I can't just hop on a plane to Hawaii for a week or two. Or New Zealand. Or Costa Rica. Or back to Italy. Or Spain! And Egypt! God, I want to go SO MANY PLACES (even the Grand Canyon or back to a few more places in the east coast would be awesome) and my financial responsibility is getting in the way!

My financial personality has been basically the same from a very young age. My grandpa remembers one Christmas, probably circa 1993, that I asked for a $100 dollar bill from Santa. My dad's favorite story to tell about me from my childhood is how I hoarded (his words, not mine) every bit of money that came my way, and counted it multiple times a day. The money in question, for your information, was a huge stack of $1 bills. Probably like 19 of them. I know, I was a high roller. =) And also, leave it to the MBA to think it's adorable that his 6 year old daughter is not only greedy, but also mistrusts her own family members when it comes to her money. How I haven't taken the business world by storm with this past is a mystery to me!

But I think the most relevant childhood money memory is when I told my mom I wanted a limo to take me to school, and she told me to start saving my pennies. Which I did, literally, for months. I don't know where I even found so many pennies, but I had a ton. But when the day came to count them all up, it still wasn't enough for a limo (who saw that one coming? yeah, everyone EXCEPT me). That's kind of how I'm feeling now. I can save and save and save, but I don't think there's ever going to be a time where it's wise, or even feasible, to hop on a plane and blow thousands of dollars without having to worry about what other, more practical things, that money could have gone towards.

There are some days that being a grown up really blows.

No comments:

Post a Comment