Thursday, August 19, 2010

Words to Live By

Today I am super excited, because I have FINALLY finished working on the desk/wall area of my room. I still have 2 1/2 walls plus closet to go, but the first chunk is finished, and I'm really thrilled with it.

I read in a magazine article that extending your desk to a bulletin board above it is one of the best things you can do to keep a small space uncluttered (and my room at home is the definition of "small space". I'm often surprised a double bed fits in there). But then I was reading another article about every piece in your room having a purpose, or a function, and not having needless clutter just for decoration's sake. So then I was really perplexed. Is it worth spending time and money for something that's just going to move the clutter from my desk to my wall? Is that really a purpose? I decided it wasn't.

So then some more deep thinking had to occur (all for a desk... ridiculous I know, but like I said, I have a LOT of free time lately). What do I want this space to do for me? The main things I'm using my desk for, now that I'm not a student, are grad school applications, job applications, and planning a solo trip on a tight budget to the east coast. Considering all this, the main emotion I have when I'm at my desk is one of being COMPLETELY OVERWHELMED. So the purpose needed to be motivation, encouragement, and a gentle nudge in the right direction. So I found all these amazing quotes (products on http://quotablecards.com/ if you don't feel like making your own, like I did), and got to work.

One massive art project later, and I've got a space that's everything I want it to be. A place to put bills and pictures and post-it reminders, but also, a place that's going to inspire me to keep working through the more overwhelming moments that are sure to come in the next several months. And if I do say so, it looks adorable, right?!


But, since I'm not the only one in cyberspace experiencing some overwhelming moments in my life, here are the quotes I used on my board. I seriously LOVE them, and think they are great words by some seriously smart people to live your life by.

"If we all did the things we were capable of doing we would literally astound ourselves." - Thomas Edison

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." - Ghandi

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." - Thoureau

"Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think that you've lost time. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And the now is right on time." - Asha Tyson

"Just when the caterpillar though the world was over, it became a butterfly." - Proverb

"Go forth, and set the world on fire." - St. Ignatious Loyola

"Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is." - Mary Anne Radmacher

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself." - unknown

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch

"Always dream and shoot higher than you know you can do. Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - William Faulkner

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain." - Vivan Greene

No comments:

Post a Comment