Thursday, September 23, 2010

It's About Time!

I am proud to report that I am FINALLY a functional member of society!! I got my first job subbing today, and I have to say, it went pretty darn well! I subbed for a 6th grade classroom that had 37 students in it, so needless to say, I was a little overwhelmed at first. But honestly, as far as a first day goes, I don't think the situation could have been any better! I was only there for a half day, and I can do even some of the most dreadful things if it's only for a few hours! And luckily, this wasn't dreadful at all! My students were great independent workers, followed directions amazingly, and weren't nearly as chatty as I was expecting. Being on my feet the whole time wasn't my favorite, but it kept me from getting bored, so overall it was totally worth it. And two of the students asked if I could come back tomorrow! Needless to say, I consider today a success! And I'll admit, I'm a total nerd... I don't think I slept at all last night because I was so excited! So, for sure after the 37 students and no sleep, I am ready for a nap!

It's funny how one day of work makes me feel like my whole life is coming together, but it really does! I made a pretty epic check-list to get me through the end of the month and was pretty overwhelmed with all the trip, work, and grad school related things I needed to accomplish. But I've been checking things off at a breakneck pace, so I'm feeling really good about the direction my life is going. I will have a paycheck for the first time since June, and I can't complain about that! I've made calls to places to volunteer, so hopefully that will be coming together soon. And I leave for my east coast adventure in exactly TWO WEEKS! Part of me wants to cry thinking of how little time I have left to plan, but I am SO EXCITED!! Still a little nervous about doing everything alone, but the more I plan for it, the less scared I get, so I think this is a good thing! I reserved my very first car rental, and am working on booking rooms for the different places, and have reserved a spot in info sessions for all three Pennsylvania schools! I can't wait to see what they have to offer (and see my sister too... duh).

I've been terrible about calling people back over the past few days in my productive fervor, but I promise, I'm getting to it as soon as I can (VIDA)! I seriously can't express how pumped I am to FINALLY have something blogworthy in my life, and some things to accomplish! Free time is great and all, but the past few months have shown me it is just not my thing! I'd rather be too busy to breathe, and from now on, that is exactly what I'm going to try to be! Although, not to the point of sacrificing my health of course. I'm reading all about the effects of stress in Robert Sapolsky's book Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers... fascinating stuff. I can definitely recommend it to anyone who's interested!

No comments:

Post a Comment