So I've been thinking more about my last post (ages ago, I know) and coincidentally, I've also been reading up on Buddhism, which is fascinating, and I've made some progress. I still stand by what I said about never being able to REALLY know if someone's trustworthy or not. But I like the idea of seeing the best in people, NOT because it's a foolproof strategy (trust me, it is NOT) but because I would hope that when people look at me, they choose to see my favorable qualities instead of my less than perfect ones. So there you go folks. The answer to all of your questions. You're welcome. =) And beyond that, let's give ourselves some credit here! Yes, seeing the best in people might cause some discomfort down the road. But have some faith in your resilience! You will survive it. I guarantee it!
Additional little note on Buddhism, that seems perfect for this time of year. GIVING. So yes, it should be something we do year round, but we're in a recession, I'm a college graduate living with MY MOTHER, so suffice it to say that in the current economic climate, we don't. Which is fine, everybody knows what they can afford to give and can't. But like I said, I'm reading up on Buddhism, and one of the BIG goals of that philosophy is to end your own suffering. But their doctrine says that humans are like this giant collective unit, so in the sense of reducing suffering, we're all one. What does that mean? Your own suffering won't be eliminated until EVERYBODY'S suffering is eliminated. That can be either really depressing or really freaking cool depending on how you look at it. Ever the optimist, I think it's pretty great. It's encouraging each of us to get out there and help people, regardless of whether they deserve it, or are properly thankful for it, or even if they know it's you that helped them or not. Because if you don't, you will never be as happy as you could be. And, believe what you will, but psychology supports this notion. There have been countless studies on how charitable and altruistic acts lifts people's moods and overall happiness for pretty impressive lengths of time. SO GET OUT THERE AND EASE SOME SUFFERING, PEOPLE! I promise to do my best to do the same.
No comments:
Post a Comment